__________Undergraduates__________ Academic Progress and Financial Aid

Student studying by Humanities buildingTo remain eligible for financial aid, you must meet three measures of satisfactory academic progress.

  1. Cumulative GPA requirements

    You must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0;

  2. Minimum pace required to complete a degree within the maximum time frame

    You are expected to earn a minimum of 36 credits per year or an average of 12 credits per quarter if you are full time. You are expected to pass 80% of credits attempted if you are part time;

  3. Maximum time frame for degree completion

    You are eligible for 15 quarters of aid without taking into account transfer credits.  If you have credits accepted for transfer to UCSC and/or if you enroll in summer, the maximum number of quarters of aid eligibility is prorated.

Filing an Undergraduate Appeal

The Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal is located online.  Use your “Blue” password* to log in.  Complete all sections of the form, including the Special Circumstance and the Academic Plan sections.  You will be notified by e-mail of the outcome of your appeal.

To complete the online appeal form for Time to Degree, you must attach a completed and approved copy of your Petition to Extend Enrollment (PTEE) obtained from your college advising office  or submit a copy to the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office.  We cannot approve additional quarters without an approved PTEE.

If you have a large GPA and/or Pace deficit, you may be required to submit the paper Financial Aid Detailed Plan to the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office.  Academic advisers should be consulted to develop an individualized plan.  If a detailed plan is required, an e-mail notification will be sent to you and a “To Do” item will be posted on your MyUCSC portal.

If your appeal is approved by the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office you will be placed on financial aid probation.
*If you are returning from a leave of absence and are not able to access the online appeal form due to issues with “Blue” password, contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office at (831) 459-2963 to receive a paper version of the appeal.

Financial Aid Academic Review Process

If an appeal is approved for GPA and/or Pace, you remain on financial aid probation and must meet the terms of your academic plan(s) to receive aid in subsequent quarters.  The Financial Aid and Scholarship office reviews academic progress at the end of each quarter before aid will be released while you are on probation.  This end of quarter review will determine the following:

  • If deficit(s) have been made up, financial aid eligibility is regained and you are no longer on probation.

  • If the terms of the academic plan are met, but deficit(s) are not yet made up, the next quarter’s aid will be released.  You will remain on probation and be subject to review again before any subsequent quarter’s aid can be released.

  • If the terms of the academic plan are not met, financial aid eligibility is lost.  If you have a new special circumstance, you may submit a new appeal for aid consideration.  If there are no new circumstances, then you must regain eligibility to receive financial aid.

The limited time between quarters does not always allow for the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office to notify students of the review outcome before the start of the next quarter. We will do everything possible to give students timely notification.  Prior to notification, if you know that you did not meet the terms of the appeal and  you are unable to finance your education without financial aid, then you may want to consider other options (including a withdrawal) as soon as possible to ensure minimal financial impact. Again we recommend you work with your Academic Adviser to assist with any such transition plan or other options.

Regaining Undergraduate Financial Aid Eligibility

Financial aid eligibility can be regained by:

  1. increasing the cumulative GPA to a 2.0,

  2. increasing the minimum credit progress (Pace) to at least 36 credits per academic year,

  3. appealing for additional quarters of aid for maximum Time to Degree.

An example of accomplishing this could be taking transferable coursework at another university. The Financial Aid and Scholarship Office recommends meeting with academic advising staff to make a plan to successfully regain eligibility.

See also:

Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Undergraduate Students

Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Graduate Students

Consequences of All F and/or W grades:

If you receive all failing grades, we must determine whether you attended class and earned the grades or whether you did not attend.  If you earned all "F" grades, you will be asked to have your professor(s) document that you attended classes and earned the “F”. 

If you received all “F” grades because you did not attend class, your financial aid will be revised be based on the mid-point of the term and you may have to repay aid you received.

If you receive “F” and W” grades because you did not attend class or you withdrew, your financial aid will be revised based on the date of the latest “W” grade and you may have to repay aid you received.