Veteran Benefits

If you are a veteran who served on continuous active duty for 181 days or more after January 13, 1955, you may qualify for educational benefits under the GI Bill. You may also qualify for educational benefits if you served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001, and you meet one of the following conditions:

  • You are still on active duty
  • You were honorably discharged from active duty
  • You were released from active duty and placed on the retired list or temporary disability retired list
  • You were released from active duty and transferred to the Fleet Reserve or Fleet Marine Corps Reserve
  • You were released from the active duty for service in a reserve component of the Armed Forces

Dani MolinaThe Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), determines your eligibility for veterans education benefits. The Registrar's Office helps you take full advantage of the programs, services, and benefits. Upon acceptance to UCSC, you will need to contact the VA Certifying Official at the UCSC Registrar's office. On their website, you will find a checklist of instructions for activating your education benefits at UCSC.

Additionally, veterans should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year before March 2nd. Federal veterans educational benefits may be considered a resource in determining financial aid eligibility. This means that financial aid packages may be reduced by the amount of your veterans benefits. This applies to all GI Bills for veterans, their spouses, and their dependents.

Below are additional links and resources:

Note: Each student may receive one type of fee-paying grant or benefit. If you are eligible for both a Cal Vet Fee Waiver and another type of fee-paying award such as a Cal Grant, you will be advised to use the Cal Grant to pay your fees and reserve the Cal Vet waiver for use during summer and/or graduate school when you are no longer eligible for the Cal Grant. The Cal Vet Fee Waiver may only be applied to Summer Session fees if you are a continuing UC student.

See Also