UCSC Short Term Loan Program
Currently enrolled, registered UCSC students experiencing temporary difficulties meeting their financial obligations may be eligible to apply for a Short Term Loan. These loans are typically for small amounts - usually less than $500 - and normally must be repaid within 30 days. There is a maximum of two Short Term Loans per academic year.
Short Term Loans may be used to pay for off-campus housing, or other living, transportation, or book expenses directly related to your education. They cannot be used to pay registration fees, on-campus housing (including Family Student Housing), personal debt, credit card debt, or car payments.
Short Term Loan Applicant Requirements
- Have a guaranteed and verifiable source of repayment that is not from future quarter financial aid.
- Provide receipts or estimates for unusual expenses (medical, dental, etc.) must be submitted with the loan application.
- Not have any outstanding university debts.
- Not have defaulted on a student loan or have a history of bad checks or late payment on a previous Short Term Loan.
- Not be a current co-signer on another Short-Term Loan.
You must have a Co-Signer if you meet one of the conditions listed below:
- Employment is the source of repayment
- The source of repayment is not pending financial aid paid to your student account
- You will be graduating at the end of the quarter
- A previous Short Term Loan was repaid late
- You have a returned check with the university
The Short Term Loan Application can be secured by visiting the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office, at 205 Hahn. After submission, our office will notify you by email if the application was approved.