Appeal for Independent Status

Students who are dependent may submit an Appeal for Independent Status based on specific adverse family situations for purposes of determining financial aid eligibility. Circumstances we will consider include those of which you are able to document that all financial and emotional contact with your parents has been severed as the result of an adverse home situation.

Reason to Appeal Documents Required

Abnormal estrangement from parents

An unsafe home environment

Physical or emotional abuse


Submit the Appeal for Independent Status Form with the following attachments:

  • A letter from you which explains your situation
  •  Letters from two people who have worked with you in a professional capacity (for example: a member of the clergy, a counselor, a psychotherapist, etc.) and are familiar with your family situation
  • All documents must be submitted to process the appeal