Graduate Satisfactory Academic Progress and Financial Aid

Student studying by Humanities buildingTo remain eligible for financial aid, you must meet three measures of satisfactory academic progress.

  1. Cumulative GPA requirements

    Rather than a specific GPA, as a Graduate student you must  maintain good academic standing to meet the GPA requirement.

  2. Minimum pace required to complete a degree within the maximum time frame

    Graduate students who have not advanced to candidacy must earn at least 25 units each year; Graduate students who advanced to candidacy must pass at least 15 units per year and complete their program within 3 years.

  3. Maximum time frame for degree completion

    The maximum time frame for graduate students varies depending on your degree program. See the Graduate Handbook for details.

To maintain financial aid eligibility, you must meet all three measures.  If you receive a To-Do List item indicating that you have not met one or more of the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements for financial aid, you will be given the option to complete an online appeal.

Filing a Graduate Appeal

The Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal is located online: click here.  Use your “Blue” password to log in.  Complete all sections of the form, including the Special Circumstance and the Academic Plan sections.  You will be notified via e-mail of the outcome of your appeal.

Before filing an appeal, you should request an improvement plan (for GPA and Pace) or an Extension Approval from your department.  Please attach scanned versions of these documents in the section provided on the online appeal form.

The Division of Graduate Studies will be reviewing your appeal.  If it is approved for academic standing or pace, you will receive aid for the next term and are placed on financial aid probation until you regain full eligibility.