Study Abroad & Away FAQ's

I am on a program right now, but have not completed a FAFSA; can I still apply for financial aid?

Yes, you can still apply. You can apply for financial aid by completing the FAFSA online.

When will I receive my financial aid package?

Student financial aid packages will be available on your student portal 30-45 days prior to the start of your program. If you have any questions regarding UCEAP aid/refund disbursements, contact your Program Administrator for your program. If you are not sure who this is, please email

What happens if I receive a private scholarship check that requires endorsement and I am out of the country on my program?

We recommend that you notify the scholarship agency prior to your departure for your program and request that your scholarship check be made payable to the ‘UC Regents’ and sent to the UC Santa Cruz Financial Aid and Scholarship Office.

How will I pay for my transportation if I haven’t received my aid yet?

Students must pay for their own transportation/airfare. If you need your ticket before you receive financial aid funds, you must purchase it using your own funds. 

How will I receive my financial aid refund?

If you are participating on a UCEAP program, UCEAP will refund any excess financial aid funds to you before departure. A check will be mailed to the address you provided on your EAP application. A direct deposit will be sent to your bank account if you signed up for direct deposit with UCEAP. 

If you are participating on a UCSC program, UCSC Financial aid will refund any excess financial aid to you before departure.

Which office should I contact regarding how/when I will receive my financial aid refund for a UCEAP Program?

Students must contact the main UCEAP in Goleta regarding financial aid refunds. The email address is:

Who is my UC Santa Cruz Financial Aid Adviser while I am on a Study Abroad or Away program?

Students with last names A-L: Luis Melgoza email: 

Students with last names M-Z: Esperanza Castro email: 

How is my financial aid affected if I decide to withdraw from my Program?

If you withdraw before the start of your Program and choose to enroll at UCSC instead, your financial aid will be revised to reflect the UCSC cost of attendance.

If you withdraw after the EAP Program has begun, you must inform the UCSC Financial Aid Office and UCSC Study Abroad immediately. We will pro-rate and reduce your financial aid to reflect the time you were enrolled only. You may have to repay funds you have received and will be notified when the revision has been completed.

How will my financial aid be affected if I extend my program?

Your financial aid package will be revised. Typically, financial aid for extensions from the fall term to a full academic year results in less funding for the spring term than you received for the fall.  Your financial aid for fall includes upfront costs such as round trip airfare, orientation expenses, and pre-departure expenses.