Summer School FAQ's

Am I eligible to receive aid for summer?
To be considered for summer aid, you must enroll by June 1st.  Undergraduate students must enroll in a minimum of 10 credits to be considered for campus based aid. For state and federal aid, you must enroll in a minimum of 6 credits. If you are a graduate student you must enroll in a minimum of 5 credits.

Do I need to be enrolled in more than 6 credits to attend summer school?

A student can attend summer if they choose to enroll in less than 6 credits. The 6 credit minimum is only for students who wish to be considered for state and federal student aid. If you can pay out of pocket and/or through other means, this credit cap does not apply to you. 

If I have been re-admitted to UC Santa Cruz fall, can I attend summer?

Students who have been re-admitted to the University for fall and wish to attend summer session need to get approval from their College Adviser and submit a FAFSA for that academic year.

What types of aid are available over the summer?

For eligible undergraduate students, Summer UC Santa Cruz Grant may be available to help cover part of their tuition and fees. Undergraduate students who plan to graduate at the end of summer may use Cal Grant in summer if they have remaining eligibility. Graduate students enrolled during summer in the five-quarter UCSC Education Master's program who received a Cal Grant as an undergraduate, are eligible to apply to extend their Cal Grant for a fifth year. Submit form G-42, Request for Cal Grant 5th Year Benefits to CSAC. If students have not used up their entire loan eligibility during fall, winter, and spring, they may use the remainder over the summer. Parents may apply for a PLUS to help undergraduate students with the cost of attending summer session. Parents may borrow up to the full cost of summer, less any financial aid assistance the student receives. Graduate students may apply for the Grad PLUS to help with the cost of attending classes in summer.

If plan to attend another UC during the summer, am I eligible for financial aid?

If you plan to enroll at another UC Campus, you must complete and submit the Summer Intercampus Financial Aid Application to our office no later than June 1st.  Students should not expect to receive as much financial aid as is available during fall, winter and spring quarters.  If you enroll at another UC Campus, your financial aid from UC Santa Cruz will be paid to you directly and it is your responsibility to pay your summer charges.

Do I need to pay for my summer charges before my aid disburses?

If you are eligible for financial aid, the Summer Session Office will NOT require you to pay your tuition and fees before you receive your aid. Your financial aid will be applied to your Summer Session charges a few days prior to the beginning of the session in which you are enrolled. If your aid does not pay all your charges, you are responsible for paying the remaining charges.