Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I have a SSN through DACA, do I put it on my DREAM application or should I just list all zeroes?

A: If you have an SSN enter it here.  If you do not have an SSN, but have an ITIN, enter that number.  If you have both numbers, enter your SSN. If you have neither number, leave this question blank.

Q: My parents have an ITIN, do they put that on the DREAM app? I can fill out a FAFSA, but my parents have an ITIN, do I put it on the FAFSA or just all zeroes?

A: For Dream Applicants, if your parent has both a SSN and an ITIN, have them enter their SSN.  If your parent doesn’t have a SSN or ITIN, enter 000000000. If you are filing a FAFSA, you will enter all zeros. 

Q: Where do I find the Statewide Student Identification Number (SSID)? Do I need it?

A: You will have the 10 digit SSID only if you attended a California public high school.  Otherwise leave this question blank.  You can find your SSID on your high school transcripts or you can call your high school.

Q: One of my parents was deported, and the other is still here. Do I still include the deported parent’s information on the application? 

A: Yes, you will include the information for both of your parents. 

Q: I (or my parents) have a cash job (work under the table). Do I still need to report that income on the FAFSA/DREAM app? 

A: Yes, you will report this information under question 88/89 of your FAFSA/ DREAM app where it asks you to report your parent’s wages, salaries, tips, ect.

Q: My parents worked outside of the country, will I still need to report their income on the DREAM app? What happens if I get selected for verification?

A: Income earned in a foreign country is treated the same as income earned in the U.S. Convert all figures to U.S. dollars, using the exchange rate in effect on the day you complete the Dream Act Application. You can find information on current exchange rates at the value of any taxes paid to the foreign government in the “U.S. income tax paid” line item. 

Q: My parents lived outside the country, and I live with my aunt. Is she my legal guardian? Does that make me independent? 

A: A foster parent, legal guardian, or a grandparent or other relative is not treated as a parent for purposes of filing a Dream Act Application unless that person has legally adopted the applicant. An adoptive parent is treated in the same manner as a biological parent on the Dream Act Application. This does not make you an independent student.  

Q: I have DACA, does that make me an eligible non-citizen?

A: Deferred action does not provide an individual with lawful status (i.e. U.S. Resident, Eligible Non-citizen). However, recipients of deferred action may obtain work authorization.

Q: Do I have to report all the scholarships and grants I received on the financial aid application? Where do I report that?

A: You only have to report your scholarships and grants received on your application if you filed taxes and reported these to the IRS in your adjusted gross income. If you did, you will report this information on question 44d of your Dream Application. 

Q: Are work study earnings taxable? Do I need to report them on the financial aid application?

A: Work-study earnings must be reported as taxed income on question 44(c) of your DREAM App/FAFSA.

Q: I was an RA last year, how do I report that on my financial aid application?

A: If you were an RA last year, you will receive an e-mail from our office letting you know the dollar amount you will need to report on your FAFSA/Dream App. You will report this dollar amount on the untaxed income section of the Dream Application under question 45 (g).

Q: Do I have to report my current balance of cash, savings and checking accounts? It changes every day.

A: You report the amount in your savings/checking accounts as of the day you filed your Dream Application. 

Q: Do I need to submit a GPA verification form if I got a Cal Grant last year? 

A: No, you don’t. For students who received Cal Grant last year, we will submit GPA verifications electronically on their behalf. 

Q: I am a UCSC student who did not get a Cal Grant last year, but I think I might be eligible this year, do I submit a form? 

A: Please contact our office at 831-459-2963 to determine if you need to submit a form.